Next Race: Sunday 19th May 2019
Champion of the Thames RC will be running Champs Eights Head on Sunday 19th May 2019 with racing on a 1450m course upstream from the Plough to the site of the former Penny Ferry pub.
Final Results can be viewed here & are available for download below.
Photographs were taken at two locations and are available for request/download. Photos taken at the start can be requested via the photo request form, photos taken further along the course can be viewed and downloaded from Flikr
Divisions will be run, each with a maximum entry of 40 boats. Your chosen division will be secured once payment has been received for your entry.
Division 1: 12:00 | Division 2: 13:30 | Division 3: 15:00
Entries are open and will close at 6pm on Wednesday 15th May 2019 or when the divisions are full – whichever is sooner.
Entries are now closed. Please contact the events secretary should you wish to submit a late entry.
Full details for payment is given on completion of your entry via the form linked above. Entries will be charged at £64/boat if payment is received before 6pm on Wednesday 15th May and £72/boat if payment is received after the deadline up until racing begins. No crews will be allowed to race without payment having been made.
Entries will be accepted in College Bumps and CRA categories as follows:
College Mens 8s: Mays Divisions M1, 2, 3, 4, 5 + GoR
College Womens 8s: Mays Divisions W1, 2, 3, 4 + GoR
CRA 8s: Championship, Club A, Club B, Novice, Masters, Junior
Should a category have 2 or fewer entries the organiser reserves the right to combine categories to create meaningful competition.
College crews, please note that your category is the division in which your boat will start in this year’s May bumps (e.g. Darwin women’s first boat will race in the W2 category). Any crews that will be entering the Getting-on Race are welcome to enter as M5 or W4.
CRA crews, please note that categories will be as defined per events offered by the CRA winter league:
- Championship – highest category: aimed at crews who will be racing off-cam at National events this season. (See notes below)
- Club A – average more than 2 BR or CRA event wins in last 24 months (head race or regatta) who are below Championship level.
- Club B – average less than 2 BR or CRA event wins in last 24 months (head race or regatta) on or off cam
- Novice – Maximum of 2 members of the crew have won a BR or CRA event (head race or regatta) before 1st January 2018.
- A crew may always enter a higher category than that for which they are qualified
- The status of a crew is as at close of entries (5PM ON WED 16 MAY 2018). If your category changes between making the entry and close of entries, please advise the entries secretary
- No substitutions that will take the crew into a higher category are allowed without the crew changing status or racing Time OnlyShould any category have more than 8 entries the organiser reserves the right to expand the categories (e.g Club A, Club B, Club C or Novice and Beginner).
For 2019 we again have prizes and special awards to make it another challenging and entertaining event including:
- Tankards for category winners – filled with Milton Beer if collected at the prize giving
- A Magnum of Champagne for breaking the current course records for Mens and Womens crews
- Awards for fastest men’s and women’s 8s on the day – the John Stewart and the Helen Patterson trophies
- Prizes for the most ‘impressive’ starts
- Champion Cox awards for judged best line around Ditton Corner
- Prize-giving (at 16:30) at Clare Boathouse
Will be found at RowClock after each division is complete and announced at the prize giving at 16:30 at Clare Boat House. Final results will be posted on this website in the days after the event.
Course Fastest Times
College Men (2019 – M Course Record) – Caius M1 4:13.0
CRA Men (2019) – Cambridge 99 M2 4:44.2
College Women (2019 – W Course Record) – Newnham W1 4:54.6
CRA Women (2018) – Cantabrigian Senior Women 4:57.2
Past winners of the John Stewart and Helen Patterson trophies (for the fastest time each year) can be found here
Champion of the Thames RC would like to thank Milton Brewery for their support of this event providing beer to fill winner’s pots!
Each year we aim to run this event on the 3rd Sunday in May. Future dates are to be approved by Cambridgeshire Rowing Association & Cam Conservators.
2020 – Sunday 17th May (provisional)
2021 – Sunday 23rd May (provisional)
Detailed information on the event and its management can be found in these documents.