Learn to Row in Cambridge
Champion of the Thames Rowing Club Cambridge (Champs)
Rowing inductions at Champs are now running for 2023.
We are a family-friendly club that finds a balance between life and rowing, with most crews going out twice a week (usually a weekend morning and a weekday night). This is often complemented by optional indoor training sessions (rowing machines, weights, core training and yoga). We are a competitive club, entering a number of races on and off Cam, with opportunities to progress based on ability and commitment.
- Inductions will take place on Thursday evenings and on Saturday mornings.
- The first three sessions are free ‘taster’ sessions. If you want to continue after the taster sessions, you will be asked to pay £70 for the remaining induction sessions .
- It is important that you are able to swim 50 metres in light clothing; and have sufficient general health so that a moderate amount of exercise won’t cause a problem.
- You must be over 18. Under 18s please contact our junior rowing squad.
- The induction sessions will involve indoor training on ergometers, use of the training ‘tub’ boat, and sweep rowing in coxed boats of 8 (and occasionally 4). All outings will be supervised by a coach on the bank.
- The induction is for sweep rowing (one blade each) and does not include scull rowing (two blades each).
- At the end of your induction course, you will have the opportunity to join the club, on the condition that the coaches are confident that you are ready to join a crew and you are able to commit to their sessions.
- Inductees should be aware that most club members row at least twice a week (one weekend morning and one weekday night).