Champs Eights Head 2022
Sunday 15 May 2022
Champion of the Thames RC will be running Champs Eights Head on Sunday 15 May 2022 with racing on a 1450m course upstream from the Plough to the site of the former Penny Ferry pub.
Queries and questions can be sent to our Events Secretary via this webform.
Divisions will be run with a maximum entry of 40 crews per division. Your chosen division will be secured once payment has been received for your entry. Should the event be over-subscribed, we will consider adding an additional division rather than expanding planned divisions.
Division 1: 12:00 | Division 2: 13:30 | Division 3: 15:00
Entries can be made through this entries webform, and will close at 18.00 on Wednesday 11 May 2022 or when the divisions are full – whichever is sooner. Late entries will be considered until Saturday 14 May at 10.00 if space is available to accommodate your crew – please contact the Events Secretary via this webform.
Full details for payment is given on completion of your entry via the form linked above. Entries will be charged at £80/boat (£10/seat). Payment must be received before your race numbers are issued. No crews will be allowed to race without payment having been made.
Entries will be accepted in College Bumps and CRA categories as follows:
College Men’s 8s: Mays Divisions M1, 2, 3, 4, 5 + GoR
College Women’s 8s: Mays Divisions W1, 2, 3, 4, 5 + GoR
CRA 8s: Championship, Club A, Club B, Novice, Masters, Junior
Should a category have 2 or fewer entries the organiser reserves the right to combine categories to create meaningful competition.
College crews, please note that your category is the division in which your boat would have started in this year’s May bumps, not your crew number (e.g. Selwyn M1 race in Mays M2). Any crews that will be entering the Getting-on Race are welcome to enter as M5/6 or W4/5.
CRA crews, please note that categories will be as defined per events offered by the CRA winter league:
- Championship – highest category: aimed at crews who will be racing off-cam at National events this season. (See notes below)
- Club A – average more than 2 BR or CRA event wins in last 24 months (head race or regatta) who are below Championship level.
- Club B – average less than 2 BR or CRA event wins in last 24 months (head race or regatta) on or off cam
- Novice – Maximum of 2 members of the crew have won a BR or CRA event (head race or regatta) before 1st January 2018.
- A crew may always enter a higher category than that for which they are qualified
- The status of a crew is as at close of entries (5PM ON WED 12 MAY 2021). If your category changes between making the entry and close of entries, please advise the entries secretary
- No substitutions that will take the crew into a higher category are allowed without the crew changing status or racing Time OnlyShould any category have more than 8 entries the organiser reserves the right to expand the categories (e.g Club A, Club B, Club C or Novice and Beginner).
For 2022 we again have prizes and special awards to make it another challenging and entertaining event including:
- Tankards for category winners
- A Magnum of Champagne for breaking the current course records for Men’s and Women’s crews
- Awards for fastest Men’s and Women’s crews on the day – the John Stewart and the Helen Patterson trophies
- Champion Cox awards for judged best line around Ditton Corner
We will also be taking race photographs on the day which will be available free of charge to all crews following the event.
Sponsored by Milton Brewery
Champion of the Thames RC would like to thank Milton Brewery for their support of this event. All winning crews are welcome to come to race control for a post-race pint of beer!
Will be found at RowClock after each division is complete. Final results will be posted on this website in the days after the event.
Course Fastest Times
College Men (2019 – M Course Record) – Caius M1 4:13.0
CRA Men (2019) – Cambridge 99 M2 4:44.2
College Women (2019 – W Course Record) – Newnham W1 4:54.6
CRA Women (2018) – Cantabrigian Senior Women 4:57.2
Past winners of the John Stewart and Helen Patterson trophies (for the fastest time each year) can be found here
Each year we aim to run this event on the 3rd Sunday in May. Future dates are to be approved by Cambridgeshire Rowing Association & Cam Conservators.
2023 – 21st May (Provisional)
Detailed information on the event and its management can be found in these documents. All participating crew members and their bank parties MUST read these prior to racing.